«Museum of War, Territory of Peace»

The display of the «Museum of War, Territory of Peace» in south-eastern barracks of the Citadel.

phoca thumb l foto 15 1The south-eastern barracks of the Citadel are situated on the bank of the left branch of the Mukhavets River.

Some casemates of the barracks are ruined and access to them is barred with railings, but one can easily observe the interior of the barracks from outside.
Here in June 1941, there were units of the 84th rifle regiment of the Soviet 6th rifle division.

At the outbreak of the Great Patriotic War the units in the building were fighting the enemy.
In the post-war period, the barracks accommodated units of the Brest Garrison of the Soviet Army. Since the 1970s, it housed services that maintained the territory of the Memorial Complex.

foto 15 3In 1971 – 1976, the south-eastern barracks of the Citadel underwent restoration that enabled to establish  museum halls here later.

On August 28, 2012, A.B.Miller, Chairman of the Management Committee of the Russian energy company Gazprom, visited the Memorial Complex and announced about the company's intent to provide sponsor assistance to  the complex. The received funds were to establish a new museum display in the south-eastern barracks of the Citadel.

foto 15 2In 2012 – 2013, the building was repaired. In 2013 – 2014, a team of researchers of the memorial Complex created the display of the «Museum of War, Territory of Peace». The artistic design was performed by a member of the Union of Artists of the Republic Belarus Yu.L.Sukhov.

The new exposition was officially opened on the 22nd June of 2014, on the day of the anniversary of the beginning of the Great patriotic War and the defence of the Brest Fortress, commemorating the 70th anniversary of the liberation of Belarus from Nazi invaders.

The area of the museum halls on the second floor totals 948 m:phoca thumb l foto 15 8

  • Hall 1, «On the Eve of the War»
  • Hall 2, «Fighting»
  • Halls 3 and 4, «Ordeals»
  • Hall 5, «Recognition»
  • Hall 6, «Echoes of the War»
  • Hall 7, «Legacy»
  • Hall 8, «Roads of Memory»

phoca thumb l foto 15 7The display of the «Museum of War, Territory of Peace» continues the theme of the «Museum of the Defence of the Brest Fortress» that has been existing since November 8, 1956. Through visual arts, items preserved by the museum, computer equipment, the new museum tells the story of fortress defenders on the roads of the war after defending the fortress, their national recognition after the war.

In 2012 – 2013, thanks to the sponsor assistance of the State Corporation «Bank for Development and Foreign Economic Affairs (Vnesheconombank)», the right side of the south-eastern barracks was repaired. In February 2015, an exhibition hall was opened.

The museum is open for visitors:phoca thumb l foto 15 11

  • 10.00 - 19.00, days-off: Tuesday, 1st of January
  • maintenance day: last Wednesday each month

 

All photos in photogallery...